Lay Staff Openings
The Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta is Seeking a Finance Associate
ABOUT THE DIOCESE OF ATLANTA
The Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta is the 8th largest Diocese of the Episcopal Church’s 109 dioceses and has a membership of more than 50,000 Episcopalians in 117 worshipping communities in Middle and North Georgia including Episcopal Schools, colleges and universities and ministries to the poor and disenfranchised.
The Finance Associate position is full-time and reports to the Director of Finance. This position functions as a member of the Finance team which has as its major responsibility the performance of general accounting, financial reporting, budget development, and audit preparation in support of The Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta, Inc. and related ministries and entities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Journal Entry Processing
- Post payroll and associated fees for multiple entities
- Prepare journal entries to record bank fees, interest payments, and merchant fees
- Clear transit account to record transactions between entities
- Vendor Processing
- Set-up new vendor in accounting system and designate for 1099 reporting as needed
- Maintain existing vendor list and update as needed
- Expense Processing
- Prepare check requests and process checks & ACH and prepare for mailing
- Credit card report distribution and posting of charges to expense accounts
- Credit Card Statement Processing
- Distribute individual expense reports in excel to all card holders
- Follow-up on expense report details & receipts from cardholders
- File/scan statements
- Daily summary statements of all bank account cash balances
- Assist with the preparation of monthly reports for all funds & entities of the Diocese
- Assist with the compilation of reports for various committees of the Board
- Prepare annual 1099 filing
- File supporting documentation with all processed transactions accurately and timely
- Prepare meeting minutes for various committees that meet throughout the calendar year (i.e., Budget, Finance, Long-Term Investment)
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team but also independently with strong organizational skills and attention to detail a must
- Effective written and oral communication
- Desire to work in a faith-based organization
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of experience in bookkeeping, especially non-profit fund accounting
- BA\BS or combination of experience and education required. Concentration in accounting, business management or business administration preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel
- Experience with church management & church accounting (ACS On Demand) preferred
- Professional office environment
- Interacting on the phone, via email and in person with other Bishop’s Office staff members, with representatives of ministries and parishes of the Diocese and vendors servicing the Diocese
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits including group health and dental insurance, life insurance and pension
TO APPLY CONFIDENTIALLY
- Submit letter of interest and resume including contact information for three references
- Click Here to Apply.
- Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment offer subject to a background check
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is Seeking a Part-Time Organist/Choirmaster
Job Title: Organist/Choirmaster
Part-time Position (25 hours/week)
Reports To: Rector
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church located just 40 miles southwest of Atlanta in Newnan,
Georgia, has had a long history of excellence in liturgy and music. We view the Holy
Eucharist, the sacrament of Christ’s body and blood, as the principal act of Christian
worship. The Organist/Choirmaster is an integral member of St. Paul’s liturgies not only
on Sundays but on major feast days and Holy Week. From the singing of psalms,
anthems, and hymns accompanied by an Allen organ, instrumentalists, and occasional
pianist music continues to speak to the soul in ways that words cannot. Our choirs have
grown both in numbers and skills over the last six years. The numbers remain steady
post-pandemic as well. St. Paul’s has an on-going commitment to four choral scholars
who help lead each section (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
The city of Newnan, GA is a thriving community with a small-town feel. With a
population of just over 40,000, Newnan is the perfect place to raise a family or start a
business. The cost of living is reasonable, and there are plenty of job opportunities. The
city also offers an excellent school system and a variety of recreational activities. In
recent years, Newnan has undergone a transformation, with new businesses and
developments popping up all over town. As a result, the city has become an increasingly
desirable place to live.
$30,500-40,500 Commensurate with experience
- Bachelor of Music required. Major in organ performance preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a church Organist/Choirmaster preferred.
- Excellent performance skills, technique, and musicality.
- Extensive experience in sacred music and knowledge of a wide variety of hymnody.
- Understanding and familiarity with worship and liturgy in the Episcopal Church
- Play and direct for all church worship services, both regular and additional as
directed by the Rector. This includes funerals/memorial services and weddings
conducted in the Nave as well as other worship services when an organist/
choirmaster is needed.
- Accompany and direct weekly Wednesday evening and Sunday morning choir
rehearsals and additional choir rehearsals throughout the choral season.
- Supervise use of the church organs, pianos, and instruments.
- Hire and manage paid singers and submit check requests for them each month.
- Upon the organist’s absence from any service for any reason, secure a substitute for
the time involved and ensure that this person is familiar with the order of service and is given ample time for practice.
- Maintain an accurate account of organ and piano needs and maintenance and schedule regular maintenance as needed.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and seasonal worship meetings.
- Enter all music used in worship services into the service planning software as well as
the licensing/copyright organizations’ reporting website.
- Participate in shared administrative aspects of managing the music and arts program.
- Accompany Children’s choir.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Rector.
Please send cover letter and resume to The Rev. Hazel S. Glover,
Position opened until filled. Interviews will begin in February 2023.
All Saints' Episcopal Church in Midtown Atlanta is Seeking a Facilities Manager
All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Midtown Atlanta is seeking to replace our Facilities Manager who is retiring after over 18 years of dedication. Do you have what it takes to fill some very big shoes?
The purpose of our Facilities Manager position is to serve the church by providing overall direction for the proper care and maintenance of the property, and management of other business affairs relating to the church buildings and grounds. He or she would be expected to perform the following tasks:
1. Provide leadership and supervision of staff and volunteers involved in this ministry.
2. Manage the maintenance and upkeep of all buildings, grounds and landscaping. Manage the maintenance and upkeep of all environmental (mechanical / electrical / lighting / HVAC / fire & life safety, etc.) security controls.
3. Coordinate with appropriate committees, contractors, architects, and state and local agencies, as needed, to facilitate renovation or relocation of facilities.
4. Coordinate and monitor the purchasing of equipment, furniture, maintenance supplies, kitchen supplies, and other items related to facilities.
5. Research and evaluate all financial commitments and contracts as they relate to buildings and grounds, on-going maintenance, and security.
6. Process and approve in a timely manner all expense invoices relating to buildings and grounds operations.
7. Develop and provide input into the facility operations budget. Review and manage on an on-going basis the actual expenditures versus the budgeted amounts.
8. Provide regular written reports on the status of buildings & grounds activities, the status of on-going maintenance, and status of special non-recurring construction/renovation .
9. Work with Buildings and Grounds committee, and other appropriate committees, officers, and leaders in carrying out the care and maintenance of the property of the church.
10. Oversee team and directly operate livestream of Sunday morning services every week, and adult formation forums as scheduled.
Preferred qualifications include Technical College, Bachelor’s Degree in related field, and/or professional certifications in the field of building management and technology. Experience with multiple HVAC Systems and Historic Buildings is a plus! Minimum requirements include 10 years progressive building management experience.
We would love to incorporate new technology into our facilities functions, so experience with choosing, implementing, and operating new technology would make you an outstanding candidate. You must be able to use the Microsoft Office Suite via Office 365 and have good communication skills. You would be expected to work closely with church members so a kind, cordial attitude is a must.
Contact Nancy Dodson via email or by phone at (404) 881-0835.
Episcopal Preaching Foundation is Seeking a Program Director for The Preaching Congregation
The purpose of The Preaching Congregation program will be to bring together the clergy and congregation of any parish in a structured process of mutual exchange that brings the congregation into a deeper appreciation of sermon preparation and development and provides the preacher with informed and structured feedback during sermon after its delivery.
One of our first steps will be to identify and recruit a strong leader for the program. I’m writing to invite your suggestions for qualified candidates whom we might invite to take part in our initial round of exploratory conversations. This will be a part-time position, approximately 50% time, or 20 hours/week. Among the qualities we are looking for are:
- Program management skills
- Experience in overseeing the design and delivery of adult curricula and continuing education programs
- Capacity to build and nurture sustaining partnerships at the parish level
- Familiarity with the culture of the Episcopal Church
- And of course: a passion for good preaching
Not essential but most probably, the ideal candidate will be ordained and have a successful record of parish ministry in the mainline Protestant Church, perhaps being recently retired.
The position description is listed on the website of the Preaching Foundation.
Christ Church Episcopal is Seeking a Director of Youth and Children's Ministry
A vibrant Episcopal congregation committed to faith and invested in the future, Christ Church Episcopal, Macon GA is seeking a Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry. An ideal candidate is one who is energetic and relational, as well as administrative and strategic. Children and youth are an integral part of Christ Church and the parish seeks a leader who can implement a ministry to reach its vision.. This person, who ideally has at least three years of full-time ministry experience, will partner with clergy, staff, and volunteers to empower children and youth to grow in their faith, embracing their role in the parish and greater community while grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church. Interested candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, an ability to collaborate with a variety of others to achieve ministry goals, and well-grounded faith that can be shared effectively with young people.
Resumes and inquiries can be sent to: adam.johnson@
Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross is Seeking a Secretary
Holy Cross is a vibrant Church that is growing and changing as it adapts to a new normal during/following this pandemic. The successful candidate will perform general administrative and clerical duties in support of and in collaboration with the Rector, Wardens and Treasurer. Duties include, but are not limited to preparing, reviewing, disseminating and/or filing routine correspondence, documents and reports; providing assistance with various requests; answering the telephone; and greeting and scheduling vendors/visitors.
Contact Michelle Ware at (404) 284-1211 or via email at email@example.com.
The Cathedral of St. Philip is Seeking a Program Coordinator for Youth and Children’s Ministries
day-to-day program needs of the Cathedral youth and children’s ministries. For more information…
St. Julian's Episcopal Church in Atlanta is Seeking a Part-Time Organist/Pianist and Choir Director
St. Julian’s Episcopal Church, in the Diocese of Atlanta is seeking to appoint a suitably qualified individual for the position of Part-Time Organist or Pianist for our growing church situated at 5400 Stewart Mill Road, Douglasville GA 30135.
The responsibilities of this position include provisioning of our weekly Sunday 10:30 am service using our Rodgers Essex 645 two manual electric organ or the Baldwin Acrosonic piano for accompaniment.
Rehearsals are held on a weekday and a warm up on Sundays before worship. Availability is also required for Holy Week services (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday); Christmas Eve and Christmas Day service, as well as Evensong and Advent Lessons and Carols.
Choral selections, both traditional and contemporary, are fundamental to our music ministry. The performance of prelude (sometimes accompanied) and postlude in accordance with the sanctity of the service should be observed.
The successful candidate will be charged with effectively communicating high standards of musicianship while continuing to revitalize and develop our dedicated choir.
St. Julian’s Church has a vision of church music as an integral component of the Church’s spiritual contribution to its congregation and to the broader community. This person will work with the Priest-In-Charge to drive this vision and will assist in expanding the Church’s musical repertoire.
Remuneration is negotiable. In addition, there will be appropriate fees for occasional services such as weddings and funerals.
Closing date for application is Friday, November 25, 2022, short-listed candidates will be invited for interview.
Further information please call, Rev’d Fr. Gregory H. Gibson, at Tel:770-949-9949 (Parish Office) or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Augustine of Canterbury, Morrow, GA is Seeking a Part-Time Organist
St. Mary and St. Martha of Bethany is Seeking a Director of Music/Organist
Organist and music director for a pastoral-sized church yet growing rapidly due to location. Part-time exempt position of approx. 10 hrs/week, paid $20,000- $22,000 annually depending on level of skills and experience. (includes 2 hours of weekly planning/administration and 5 hours of on-site personal practice time for personal musical development and weekly preparation of worship services outside of 3 hours of worship and choir practice weekly)
Willing to be creative with time-off/flex hours per month and/or seasonal participation. Responsibilities include planning, preparation, and execution for one Sunday service weekly; Includes growing and directing a small volunteer choir, including handbells. Looking for someone excited to have creative licensure and develop a blooming program.
Candidate should have familiarity with Hymnal 1982 of The Episcopal Church and knowledge of other authorized hymnals desirable (Lift Every Voice and Sing). Ability to work with singers of varying abilities. Sense of humor and team attitude are musts! Allen 44 Stop Renaissance Digital Organ (WT-25) 2002.
Send resume or contact to The Rev. Laura Masterson at lmasterson@
St. Columba's Episcopal Church is Seeking a Director of Youth Ministry
St Columba’s is looking for a Director of Youth Ministry to lead our vibrant youth program. This role supports the spiritual development of middle and high school youth, provides leadership of youth activities and Christian formation, and serves as a resource for the director and teachers of our children’s Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Program.
- Be present on Sunday for worship, Sunday school, and afternoon youth group.
- Plan and facilitate weekly Sunday school program (Sept-May) and weekly youth group activity/program for middle and high school youth.
- Communicate with parents and youth via weekly email and social media; and maintain youth social media publicity and youth calendar.
- Facilitate opportunities for youth to participate in Diocesan youth events and retreats as well as in local outreach ministries.
- Assist with planning of summer vacation bible school program and several youth-led parish events (Shrove Tuesday dinner, St Patrick’s fundraiser, and Christmas pageant).
- Cultivate relationships with the adult volunteer youth ministry advisors.
St. Teresa Episcopal Church in Acworth Seeks an Organist/Director of Music
St. Teresa Episcopal Church in Acworth, GA seeks an Organist/Director of Music responsible for providing music in the Episcopal/Anglican tradition (music ancient, classical, contemporary, and multicultural). This is a part time position: approximately 6-10 hours a week.
The responsibilities of the Director of Music include the following areas:
- Provide organ and other keyboard accompaniment for the parish choir, congregation, and clergy at weekly services and rehearsals. Responsible for selection and performance of preludes, postludes, choral music, hymns, and music incidental to the liturgy in consultation with the Rector. Keyboard accompaniment for the 10:00 a.m. primary Sunday Services, Holy Week Services (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil); the Thanksgiving Eve Service; all Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services; Evensong liturgies; Advent Lessons and Carols, and other special services. Additionally, being available to work with individuals and families for funerals, memorial services, and weddings with additional compensation.
- Training and development of the parish choir, including recruiting, training and leading the choir for the Sunday liturgies and special services; preparing for and conducting the weekly rehearsals; nurturing and developing of choir members; working with the youth to incorporate their participation in the musical experience; working with the Rector to explore the development of new choir members and choral ensembles, and opportunities to increase the active musical participation by the congregation.
- Administrative: Participating with the Rector and other members of the staff; developing new programs, participation in Worship Committee meetings to develop seasonal liturgies; being a resource for musical events and programs; supervision and recruitment of guest musicians; maintaining the church’s music collection and ordering music; preparing and implementing the music budget; managing the maintenance of musical equipment.
- Other requirements: strong communication skills, ability to be flexible, considerable musical knowledge and love of sacred music, maintenance of a list of suitable substitutes, desire to grow our music program, collaboration with clergy and other musicians, maintenance of a list of suitable substitutes as needed.
- $25,000 salary and benefits package (negotiable depending upon experience). Knowledge of the Episcopal Church and its liturgy is preferred but not required.
How to apply: Send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Music Search” in the subject line. Application period closes August 15, 2022.
The Episcopal Church of the Redeemer is Seeking a Part-Time Church Administrator
The Episcopal Church of the Redeemer
- Answer phone and e-mail communications.
- Oversee preparation and print all Saturday and Sunday worship bulletins, as well as those for weddings, funerals, Holy Days, and other special occasions.
- Prepare and mail all mass communications to the parish.
- Maintain records of parishioners, including membership changes and updating directory.
- Oversee the upkeep and maintenance of the office equipment.
- Responsible for ordering supplies for office, (may assist in ordering supplies for Activity Center and worship, if needed).
- Maintain the calendar for use of the church facilities.
- Financial responsibility: includes inputting incoming monies into financial program, giving statements, tracking pledges, expenditure payments.
- Provide general administrative support for parish priest, vestry and staff.
- 19 hours/week.
- High degree of interpersonal skills, with a warm sense of hospitality.
- Organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Quickbooks. Knowledge of PowerChurch is an asset.
- Episcopal background is not a must, but it is an asset.
Send inquiries and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call 706-453-7171, and ask for Rev. Bill Combs.
Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross is Seeking a Secretary
The Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross, in Decatur, GA, is a vibrant Church growing and changing as it adapts to a new normal during this pandemic. The successful candidate will perform general administrative and clerical dutiies which include, but are not limited to preparing, reviewing, disseminating and/or filing routine correspondence, documents and reports; providing assistance with various requests; answering the telephone; and greeting vendors/visitors. These duties are performed in support of and in collaboration with the Rector, Wardens and Treasurer. The successful candidate will report directly to the Rector, work under minimal supervision, and can set own work sequence and pace within process/Church limitations.
Interested parties should submit their resume to: office@holy_cross.org by March 21, 2022.
St. David's Episcopal Church is Seeking a Bookkeeping Assistant
St. David’s is a thriving parish of over 1800 members in the North Atlanta suburb of Roswell. The Parish seeks a part-time bookkeeping assistant with primary responsibility for accounts payable and payroll administration.
See the full job description and apply here.